I appreciate the kind comments regarding my vacation pictures. I seldom go anywhere, so this has been a big deal to me. In twenty years of marriage I have been to a cattle expo, a youth group rally,my sister's beach house three times, Upstate New York, and Walmart! Owning a farm means that someone has to be home with the animals. I suppose veggie only farmers don't have that problem off season. Henry, we can't leave the broccoli to go on vacation. We'll just take it with us! Can I go too? Hush, Wendell. You had a vacation earlier last week when you ran away to the greenhouses. Oh, I forgot. I didn't even get a t-shirt or ears on a headband. You have ears already, sweetheart. Oh, yeah. That's right. I forgot. Do I still get a headband? Wen!
- Joyful Keeper asks, "What makes you smile a happy,content smile in the course of a day?"
- My Kid's Mom asks, "Are you married, single, or divorced?"
- Empty Nester asks, " Do you have any home remedies for allergy or the common cold?"
- Stephanie asks, "How many different addresses did you have growing up?"
- I've just recently realized_____________________.
- Seeing my kids interact with great kindness towards each other, or other people.
- I have a ton of home remedies and I use them all often. They are such a normal part of our life that my girls will just start using some of them if they feel something coming on. Here goes part of the list: For allergies- They say that using raw local honey helps, almost like allergy shots. It's true! I have also found a number of homeopathic remedies for allergies and they have really helped. I love, LOVE homeopathy. It has been around for much longer than our current day medicines and I don't feel like a guinea pig for pharmaceutical companies (and their wallets). I highly recommend a good homeopathy book. I have a really basic one called Medicine Moms, by Arlene Uhl. You might find it online. It isn't just for moms with young kids, but every mom who wants good health should have a copy. For colds- The very minute we feel one coming on, we take Manuka Honey. It's a bit pricey, but it has stopped a cold dead in its tracks many times for our family. It's made from honey that bees make from the Tea Tree (as in tea tree oil), so it is very astringent. It's awesome for the first sign of a sore throat. You can get it at most health food stores, vitamin stores, and Whole Foods. (You can also get it from Vitacost. If you sign up under me, we both get a great coupon. Email me if interested.) The next thing I do is use Silver Shield by Natures Sunshine. Visit Natures Sunshine and check it out. I use it for all kind of things with great success. I also juice lots of greens and healthy veggies to give my body the extra it needs to fight. I have an interesting interview about juicing.
- I had two addresses in two different states, but lived in the second one for a very long time and my family still lives there. (They remodeled the house to the point of almost not being able to recognize it. Excuse me, where's my house- says my inner child.)
- I just recently realized that I've lost a ton of weight. I used to get ready to go out and I'd have a pile of "Grrrrr" clothes. Those were the ones that made me growl and say things that weren't so nice when I didn't fit in them. Now I have pile that are too big. I have not been dieting or even cutting down. I have been juicing (see question 3). I have been detoxing my body as I juice. I have less of a sweet tooth and I just feel healthier (except for the flu that I picked up in Orlando). I recently read that your body cannot lose weight as well if it's holding on to toxins. Think about it, the fat cells hold toxins. Anyhoo- I'm no doctor, or health professional. I'm just an unemployed chef who is about to need a new wardrobe. Fortunately, we have a wonderful thrift shop nearby where some lovely soul drops off Coldwater Creek clothes in my size!
Have a wonderful rest of the week
and come back to Everyday Ruralty soon!