I hope this edition of Chats finds everyone happy, well fed, and more relaxed than we all were while Christmas shopping. I have enjoyed seeing houses with lights as we've driven at night. The best lights are those that welcome us when we drive up our driveway. The Christmas tree lights can easily be seen from our front windows.
It was almost a mess this year. Our artificial tree is quite old and I decided to replace it. Before I could even look for one at stores, I stumbled upon one at our church yard sale. All I noticed when I bought it was the fact that it was pre-lit and it was only four dollars. I put it in storage and forgot all about my quest to replace our old tree. I was sure that was all taken care of. WRONG! That's for sure. Wendell, I didn't ask you, dear! As I was saying, I pulled out the tree after Thanksgiving and discovered that it was only 4 feet tall and skimpy- very skimpy. Oops! Oops!Wendell... The tree had white lights on the bottom and multi-colored lights on the bottom. It looked terrible. You could see it from the pasture. Heck, I almost lost my oats! Wendell! I will eat all the carrots by myself if you don't stop interrupting. You will? Yes. Now may I continue? As long as you don't eat all of the carrots. Okay.
After kind suggestions, mild criticisms of the tree, and begging, I brought the old tree out. It's a bit old, but the splendor of its seven foot height and the fullness of the branches made me glad that I had not dropped it off at the charity store when I discovered the other tree. I'm happier with our old tree than I ever could have imagined. Sometimes the old things and the comfortable outweigh the need (want) for new.
Questions for this week's chat:
- Who makes the best cookies in your family?
- What was the most satisfying or pleasing thing about Christmas 2011?
- How many photo did you take while your family was together for Christmas? Tons? A few? What pictures?
- Do you have a fireplace, wood stove, or pellet stove?
- What time did you get up on Christmas morning?
- It's a tie. My girls are pretty good at baking.
- I enjoyed our Christmas Eve service at church. I also loved seeing the face of my youngest when she opened her big gift ( an 18" doll with her own horse).
- A few. My brother in law takes so many during family get togethers that we all hide. He even photographs family while eating. If you play those videos without the sound, we all look like chickens pecking at our dinner. Different.
- We have a pellet stove. It's much cleaner than when we had a wood stove, but it requires purchasing lots of pellets.
- We had four daughters bounce on our bed at around 7. I remember getting up too early as a kid and being sent back to bed for a while.
Have a wonderful week.
Happy New Year!